Turkey Time!


Just needed to post something to remind myself of Thanksgiving 2010 – because my, oh my, how quickly I forget things!! Since I had the whole week off, I decided to fly home to Phoenix on Saturday night. Pops picked me up and we headed home. Sunday, we had ambitious plans of tackling his warehouse; however, he ended up really sick and in bed for 27 of the next 33 hours. Not fun for him! I made the most of my time, finishing the book House Rules (really good and pretty intense at times and, of course, I found myself crying at several points), napping, and researching ideas for next year.

Monday, after several more naps, we finally made it to the warehouse, but still weren’t quite as productive as hoped. I just really enjoy the mundane tasks of warehouse work – counting, organizing, sorting, etc. And there is no facetiousness in there, I promise! I love it! Lindsay met me up at the warehouse after work and we headed to Home Depot to find some paint swatches for her. We went to a birthday dinner at Applebee’s which was YUM! And, as always, I enjoyed a great time with my tried and true BFF πŸ™‚ I just love that girl!

Tuesday, it was up and back at ’em. Got some stuff completed at the warehouse and then headed to the Huff household that evening. Grace is absolutely hysterical as usual, and I got some good talk time in with Lynds and even got to see Kevin! As I sat down with them for dinner to eat a salad (I was meeting my grandparents afterwards for actual dinner), Grace set the table and announced, ‘Karolyn, I gave you the big fork cuz you are big’ – then we saw that she had given me a SERVING fork!! HAHA!! Too cute. Too soon, it was out the door to meet G&G for dinner as they had just arrived into town. We went to Chompie’s and enjoyed a hearty meal -I opted for walnut waffles. YUM! We got home late that evening and I assessed my dad with a formal assessment from work. Long story, but basically I would not let it go that I had scored ‘very superior’ on many of the subtests (let’s be honest, I work in the education field daily and have had recent access to most of the information it tests on…) and needed to see what he was capable of. Overall, we’ll give him a superior

Wednesday, we were up early for dad to head to work and G&G and myself to enjoy a good breakfast before they too fell victim to the standard assessments! HAHA! I spent the next two hours administering these tests – grandma ended up a solid ‘high average’ and gramps a ‘superior/very superior’ combo – I could not believe the math he was able to do; guess teaching math probably helped in that score! And grandma was awesome in her writing fluency and passage comprehension – all of her note writing and book reading paying off!! After grandma took a quick nap, we got ready to head out. We went up to Desert Ridge to enjoy a lunch at Paradise Bakery and then we were off to Hallmark Creations, who can resist?!?! We went to town in that store and absolutely LOVED it – I had to leave two boxes with my dad to have my mom drive back next weekend! Afterwards, we met Dad back up at the warehouse where we were devastated by the fact THREE BOXES of delicious candy were RUINED and had to be discarded. Grandma and I tried hard to salvage it, but it just wasn’t working! That evening, we met Aunt Lin and Colby up at Charleston’s for a DELICIOUS dinner and GREAT time together! We’ve been able to spend 5 out of the last 6 Thanksgivings together, I believe! After nearly freezing to death on our way back to the car, we made it back home. I headed out at about 10 to meet Natalie and her boyfriend, Chris, in town from San Antonio down in Tempe! It was so great to meet Chris and it was AWESOME to get to see Nat! I love that girl!

Thursday, it was up early – 4:25am my time, to be exact. My flight left at 7am Phoenix time and got me back to San Diego at 7:10am. My hubs was right on time and we headed straight home to take an almost three hour nap! Five days might have been just a little too long to spend apart, but it was so nice to be reunited! The house was perfectly cleaned, the list completed, and a card left for his Wifey! Who could ask for anything more?! At about 10:30 we were up and down in the kitchen trying to get our sweet potatoe balls and green bean casserole prepared. I apparently did not plan too far ahead and didn’t think about the fact the sweet potatoes would have to be cooked prior to the recipe beginning. Oh well! At noon, I just threw all of the ingredients in the back of the car and spent our trip up to Oceanside rolling those balls! Then, when we got there Josiah went to Grandma and Grandpa Cerullo’s house to bake it all! We thought we were in a rush; however, mom and Jim got caught in traffic (THREE HOURS worth) on their way from Orange County and we got a later start, which worked out perfect! The meal was absolutely WONDERFUL! Enough salad to feed a small army, cranberry sauce in the appropriate turkey oranges, our sidedishes, yummy turkey and brisket, mashed potatoes/gravy, bread, and I think that might be it. After gorging ourselves, we went on a short walk down to the little pond aread where I impaled my hand with thorns trying to climb a tree. Not fun. But a good little walk nonetheless! Then it was back home to play games. The first one of which I was NOT a fan – the ‘Broom Game’ – oh my goodness, I got so frustrated – and thankfully, Jennie finally helped me out before I gave up. Then, it was onto Catch Phrase where the girls won quite a few in a row πŸ™‚ My mom suffered a bruised lip, but all was well!

Then it was onto desserts where people got to choose between pumpkin pie, pecan pie, pumpkin dump cake, and something with cherries. YUM! After that, we gathered around the table to play a great game of ‘Fishbowl’ which is absolutely hysterical – particularly with so many devout Christians in the room making words like ‘Atonement’, ‘Sanctification’, etc. – try acting those out!! We had a great time, and the girls secured yet another victory πŸ˜‰ (I say thise solely because the score card from our last game night is still hanging on our fridge announcing the boys’ victory). We wrapped up the evening in good conversation and headed home around 9pm so Josiah could get some sleep before working Friday. I spent the day straightening up and organizing my computer before spending time with him when he got home and then heading to the Friesen’s to babysit.

Saturday started with almost an hour Skype conversation with Kalyb, just wonderful! Can’t WAIT to have him here in December, I can hardly stand it!! Then, it was off to run errands for me – post office, Salvation Army, Harley Davidson, and then to Belmont Park to play some football with some friends. Can’t believe we can be outside at the end of November so comfortably – it’s colder in our house than out there! Came home to have Raleigh come over for some conversation and some tea πŸ™‚ I always so enjoy getting to have time to just sit down and chat with her!

And that brings us to Sunday….a lovely sleep in until 10:30 followed by a blog post and now onto some cleaning, reading, relaxing, and church later. FUN FUN! We really are blessed….happy Thanksgiving week everyone!


About KarolynK

Hey there! Thanks for checking out my blog! My name is Karolyn (as you probably know) and I live in San Diego with my amazing Husband. I've been teaching Special Education for the bast six years and LOVE it! I am loving life and just trying to figure out if I'm doing what it is that God is wanting me to do....always a process! Thanks for sharing in this journey with me though, I really do appreciate it.

One response »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s