My 30th Birthday Weekend!


Seeing as my birthmonth has come and gone…it’s about time I write a weekend re-cap of my 30th birthday festivities.  Or I’ll forget.  Let’s be honest.

So, Thursday night I was planning to pick up my Mom from the airport.  For the previous two weeks, I’d been telling everyone that would listen that my sister had BETTER be surprising me as well.  I’d even looked up her school schedule online and noticed that we had the same spring break.  Come Thursday though, I’d chosen to believe there actually isn’t anyway that she would make it due to work and other demands.  I just didn’t want to be super disappointed.  So, there I was parking at DFW. I’d received a couple strange texts about late arrivals, etc. and now that I think about it, I still don’t know the whole story.  But, I had the chance to catch up with Mistie while I waited for their supposed late arrival.

Finally, I went in to find my Mom.  After greeting and hugging the amazing Mama, there popped my sister!  She’d been hiding around the corner and, of course, her appearance resulted in high-level squeaking/screaming/squacking sounds that I’m sure were a delight for other travelers to hear at 11pm.  HOW FUN!  We made it back home around midnight, set up sleeping arrangements, and hit the sack.

Friday, we were up early with a full day ahead.  My mom and sister joined me at work and got to see some of the craziness of the day.  Sister complained commented about the fact that I never stay in one place for more than one class period.  There’s lots of running around.  And I love it!  They got to meet all my kiddos and a lot of my friends and co-workers and we got to meet Kalyb for lunch.  Upon arriving a little earlier than usual, we interrupted the set-up of a surprise birthday party from the aforementioned friends/co-workers!  They were celebrating my big 3-0 and Kristin’s big 4-0 which was quickly approaching as well.  Mom and Sister went home for a few hours during lunch to grab a nap and I desperately wished I could join them.  They returned and we wrapped up the day and went to pick up Kalyb 🙂  He’d had a great day (as is becoming the norm around here for the most part, praise the Lord!) and we headed home.  Friday evening, we headed to uptown to eat some Mexican food and spend some more time together.  Mom and Becca took Kalyb to their hotel so that Josiah and I could have a night together which was awesome!  We don’t get too much alone time!

Saturday, we were up and at ’em!  Sister woke up next to Kalyb and upon asking if he’d wet the bed, Kalyb immediately responded with, ‘I’m only answering that if there’s a washing machine and clean sheets.’  (Despite my adamant reminder to tell Kalyb to go to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY before bedtime, they took his simple ‘I don’t have to go’ as truth.  Not so with a 5 year old, not so.)  Anyways, we got a kick out of that.  Around 11am, we headed to Wal-Mart to collect some party goods.  Unfortunately, the keys also got inadvertently locked in the car at this time as well.  So we spent about 30 minutes waiting for AAA to arrive and come to our rescue.  And they did.  So we continued on. 

My hope was to have my birthday party at a park up at White Rock Lake.  Unfortunately, the rain/mud/wind/cold stopped this from happening.  Jessica Cowan, similar to AAA, swept in and saved the day!  She offered to host the little birthday gathering at their home.  A-MAZING!  The boys grilled and we had snacks to munch on and Jessica spoiled me with cake and cupcakes.  Really, what would we have done without her??  We played a game of Fishbowl (per norm), opened gifts (I didn’t know that still happened at 30!), and enjoyed a quiet afternoon in.  We wrapped up and headed to go see The Lorax at our $2.75 movie theater (plus a few dollars more for 3D – can you believe that?!).  What a cute movie!  On the way home, we stopped by the grocery store for some goodies and Josiah spoiled us with some salmon, asparagus and potatoes.  My favorite!  Saturday night was my night to head to the hotel with the girls.  Mom and I spent some time in the hot tub while Sister got her alone time and we had a great time.  What was not so great was losing that hour in the middle of the night.

Sunday we were up DARK and EARLY due to Daylight’s Savings.  We got ready and essentially searched the city of Dallas for a Starbucks.  REALLY?!  How were two non-existent, one was closed, and another inside a building that was closed?!  Unheard of.  We picked up the boys and stopped by a different Starbucks on the way to church.  Why I didn’t think of that ahead of time is beyond me.  Anyways, into church we went, Starbucks in hand and enjoyed a good message by a guest speaker.  Afterwards, we dropped the boys off and the girls went to play!  Okay, not really, but we went to get spoiled by massages and facials.  YES PLEASE!!  It was wonderful and kind of funny as Sister and I got a couples’ room.  Ha!  Afterwards, we were borderline about to pass out (thankfully we’d found some Girl Scouts and bought some cookies to hold us over) and were on the hunt for a yummy place to eat.  We ended up at the most random of places.  RANDOM.  I’m talking they served this tuna stack thing with a side of potato chips.  We had edamame.  Sweet potatoe fries.  Sushi.  It was quite amusing really.  And delicious! 

We headed back down south so that Josiah and I could make it to our Small Group meeting we have.  Mom dropped us off and then headed to drop Bec off at the airport :’-(  A short but sweet visit indeed!  After the drop-off, my mom returned and we wrapped up and headed home.  Monday was spent at the Dallas Zoo!  Most of it in line to park at the zoo, but nonetheless, we made it.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day and we were really impressed by the zoo!  Mom even spoiled us with an annual pass so that we can go throughout the year!  YAH!  (This in addition to the diamond earrings and bracelet, the party supplies, the meals, the massages, etc.  Can you say SPOILED?  I’m VERY appreciative though!)  We brought out lunch and had fun petting the giraffes, Mom and Kalyb rode a camel, and there were all sorts of other fun things to see.

Monday evening brought some stress as our plan was to leave by 6am the following morning and Josiah, Kalyb and I were then dropping my mom off at the airport and heading straight to Amarillo en route to Colorado Springs (that trip will be for my next post).  Thankfully, we survived.  Kalyb made it to Tae Kwon Do, we ran a bazillion errands and ended up back home to call it a night.

What a fabulous way to celebrate my 30th!  We all know this hasn’t been the easiest of years between the move and the move.  Really, that’s about it.  But lots of stuff comes with that – new job, new friends (not having friends for awhile), new place, etc.  As we look back on this year, what an amazing journey the Lord has brought us on!  We’re so thankful for the people in our lives, our families, etc.  Continuing to stand in awe of how blessed we are.  Happy birthday to me!


About KarolynK

Hey there! Thanks for checking out my blog! My name is Karolyn (as you probably know) and I live in San Diego with my amazing Husband. I've been teaching Special Education for the bast six years and LOVE it! I am loving life and just trying to figure out if I'm doing what it is that God is wanting me to do....always a process! Thanks for sharing in this journey with me though, I really do appreciate it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s